Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Week of fishing and exploring

I took last week off and started the weekend by hosting my brother's bachelor party.  It can pretty much be summed up with this time lapse video.
Matt and I snuck away Saturday for the St Croix by Cty Rd T.  We had really good luck for it being overcast.  Probably got a dozen SMBs and some nice pike.  Everyting on top-water.

The pike must really hide went the water is high - because Saturday when it came down we caught a bunch - and this nice 30 incher.

Sunday morning I took Jon out on the St Croix before he left and was able to land this beauty - biggest of the year for me - 19 inches.
Right away we turned around and hit the Namekagon from Cty K to Whispering Pines.  I don't know why I've never done this stretch of river before - it is possibly the best in the area.  Flows were fast and the SMBs were slow because of the high water.  But the plus side was the musky maddness.  Matt landed this 36 incher before the middle split ring was about to give.
Matt's hit a Skitter Prop mid stream with a cool slow take.  We floated with it for awhile to tire it out before netting.  Lou had one hit at the boat while Matt and I were recovering from his fish. 

I also had 3 bit offs with the fly rod.  Unfortunatley I wasn't prepared and didn't have my 20 lb floro for a bit leader and lost some nice fish that took the Bart-O-Minnow. 

The rest of the week I explored some nearby musky lakes and also floated the Totagatic from the County I Dam to Lake Nancy Road - and the St Croix from the Gordan Dam down to Cty Rd T.  Both were awesome water and hopefully I can fish this next week. 

I have a guide trip Friday on the St Croix above Grantsburg.  The flows should be prime with the Kettle falling quickly after the Duluth area rains - the 4th is shaping up for a good weekend.



1 comment:

  1. Pretty awesome getaway! And quite a catch too! Being able to brave the current like that is always a splendid thing to experience. Almost makes you want to be in a position where you can experience that everyday, by actually being able to lay claim to that piece of the river, heh. I guess there are ways in which this can be made possible. :)

    Darren @ Mirr Ranch Group

    ReplyDelete