Tuesday, July 30, 2013

What happend to summer?

July was going along great - good SMB popper action and then last weekend happened.  It was a 45 degree drop from the previous week's high to the low Saturday.  We were wet wading to cool off and then Saturday we did it to warm up.

What was weird is how it triggers musky and pike to bite.  Friday we floated the St Croix near Grantsburg and although we managed a dozen nice smallies on topwater the highlight was Jeff's 36 inch musky on a topwater.
The best part is I didn't have my net along.  When I picked up he and Bob in the morning I said "muskies have been biting but if I put the net in the boat we won't catch one".  Of course we were in waist deep water and I had to try and grab the thing.  The water was really low and we (me) dragged the boat a lot.

Saturday it actually got colder and cloudier.  Smallies slowed more but the pike started biting.  I caught this beauty on a flash tail streamer on a jig hook (PS I think that helps the hook setting - note the fly in the top of the mouth).
Going to do an evening float Monday and then Mississippi Friday.  I'll try and take less grip and grin photos.

2 comments:

  1. dang! Wish you would've posted this yesterday... maybe it would've motivated me to hit some local bass/musky water in my toon. Nice esox!! I've got the same fish grips -like em, esp since they float.
    You ever do you Upper Iowa River float? I've got in the Volga and a section of U. IA. Volga was much hotter with the smallie action.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to canoe it during my college days but haven't been back since I really got into fly fishing. I think it would be a great time. Just talked to a college buddy who had good luck this last year. Saw your post and it's definitely something I should try sooner rather than later. Does it run pretty clear most the year?

      Delete